Thursday, October 22, 2009

An alternative approach to Nanowrimo


Well, its almost November, the month my family dread more than any other because it means lots of takeaways and a distracted mother who is strangely preoccupied with odd research for the entire month as she works away (8th time) on a new novel.
Many of my co-writers are put off by the idea of writing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days, and I know how that can be, so this morning I decided to post some alternative ideas about Nano, which I hope you'll find interesting.
The one thing to remember, is that different to contests, Nano is not about beautiful sentence structure, great characters and tight plotting, but instead about volume. Nobody except you gets to read your 50,000 words, so there is no criticism involved, and this, on its own, can be a powerful incentive to write, and unlock creativity. It struck me that there are as many different types of writers as there are cars, or chocolate for that matter. Perhaps you like to write short stories? In that case, perhaps your 'novel' could be a collection of short stories rather than a novel. The target is just over 1,600 words per day. If you decided to write a collection of 2,000 word short stories during November, you would have 25 by months end, or you could take the pick and mix approach, and still end up with a collection worth something at the end of the month.
Nano gives you the freedom to do this, not all chapters of your magnus opus need to be perfect, or even good, you can let your mind wander and see what comes out of it, and if you get stuck, as Chris Baty (Nano head) advises, why not have a spaceship land? Great if you write science fiction, and somewhat dubious if you write Regency romance, but it will get you out of a hole, and once you've written that bit, you may find that your earlier story re-emerges, in spades.
The first week is always easy, a new story, new characters, and lots of inspiration. Week two is more difficult, working on those threads and building the characters, and by the time you get to week three, you're pulling your hair out, wondering why you started, and wishing you were anywhere else but in the middle of a dog of a story. If you can get through week 3 everything changes, inspiration is back, and writing is pure joy again. I don't have a problem with having bizarre writing in week 3, worse case scenario is that you have 11,000 words of dodgy material in there which can be rewritten (or cut), but still almost 40,000 words completed that you can work with in 2010.
NaNoWriMo is a different way of writing, a way your brain adapts to. It's challenging, inspiring, and great fun, so for those who haven't considered it I'd say join the party - I bet you'll enjoy it.

7 comments:

  1. What a great post. I had toyed with the idea of this challenge, but found it a little scary. Now you have explained it so well, I might consider it. I really should finish my first novel by my birthday a (personal deadline) though. That only leaves me...starting the next day!!

    Mmmm, she wambles off to think about it. ;0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glynis - Go for it! If you make 50,000 words then you're a winner, and all winners have the option to get a printed copy of their book (and you've 6 months to edit that book into submission) for FREE, and it can also be put on Amazon. Have a look at the website for more details under https://www.createspace.com/nanowrimo?ref=438265&utm_id=4848

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow congrats on this being your 8th NaNo Sally! This would be year number two for me. I get a thrill out of the NaNoWriMo’s history and Chris’s crazy updates. It’s amazing just how much its grown from that first year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really has grown hugely Lacey, everyone seems to be talking and blogging about it this year. I have a title, and and idea, and am just trying to get myself stoked for keeping going with it! I'm Darcy Raven on nano, so must go link you as a friend!
    XS

    ReplyDelete
  5. To echo Lacey, well done on your 8th year. I'm still thinking about taking the plunge for the first time. Have to say, the more I read about it, the more I'm tempted.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just signed up (Yikes). WelshWitch - I'll look out for you.

    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Luck to all! Almost wish I was doing it too, but gonna be overseas for past of Nov and somehow don't think I'll find the time...

    ReplyDelete